Alkalizing your body simply means reducing its acidity, and you can do that by eating the right kind of foods. There are a lot of benefits to alkalizing your body. An alkalized body often results in more nights of peaceful, deep sleep; an increase in energy; and a reduction in weight. Alkalizing your body also promotes mental alertness, reduces candida growth, improves memory, generates healthier tissues, ensures proper functioning of your cells, supports a healthier heart, and reduces the risk of chronic diseases and muscle degeneration.
Alkalizing your body is a gift that you can give yourself. Here are eight ways to do it.
1. Not all acidic foods are bad. This may seem counter-productive since you are trying to reduce acid levels in your body, but not all acidic foods are bad for you. Case in point: lemon. Lemon may be an acidic food, but it helps to alkalize your body instead of harm it. Add a few drops of lemon water to a glass of water and drink it first thing in the morning. This will increase your body’s metabolism and help detoxify all the acids and toxins in your body.
2. Devour the greens. Another great way to alkalize your body is by adding green vegetables and fruits in your diet. Try a simple green salad with olive oil and sprinkle with some black pepper for seasoning.
3. A for alkalizing. A for almonds. Try adding unsalted and raw almonds to your diet as a snack. Almonds contain naturally occurring alkaline, magnesium, and calcium, which help your body to balance your body’s blood sugar and acidity.
4. Don’t choose the cow. Switch your milk to non-dairy, like almond milk, because cow’s milk promotes more acid growth.
5. Workout. Exercise is vital to alkalizing your body. Even just fifteen minutes of exercise moves the acidic foods in your body to a position where it is easier to completely eliminate them from your body.
6. Meditate. Mediated in fresh air or invest in essential oils or a salt lamp. Essential oils are known for purifying and cleansing your body. Investing in a Himalayan sea salt lamp will prove beneficial toward alkalizing your body because it will cleanse and purify it by producing negative ions and canceling out the positive ions in your surroundings and in your body.
7. Quit the meat. Try to consume as little meat as possible. Better yet, start a completely plant-based diet. Meat has a tendency to leave residual acid in your body even after it has been eliminated.
8. No more sugar. No more soda. Cut out all soda and sugar from your diet because they are nothing but empty calories. Choose water or green tea instead because they will detoxify your body from acidity.
An alkalized body is a balanced, happy body. Try integrating a few of these into your daily routine, and experience the difference of an alkalized body!
Coconut Curry Soup
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 leek, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 medium to large head of purple cabbage, chopped
2 cups chopped sweet potato
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 15-ounce can organic coconut milk
6 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon thyme
Add coconut oil to a large soup pot over medium heat. Add chopped celery, onion, leek, and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes until it starts to brown. Next, add cabbage, sweet potato, quinoa, coconut milk, vegetable broth, curry powder and thyme. Mix well and cover. Continue to cook for about 20 minutes until the quinoa is fully cooked and the vegetables are tender.
If you would like to learn more about working with me to lose weight, and have more energy, and just an overall more healthy lifestyle, just click here.
Yours in health and wellness,
Sugar is nothing but empty calories, the calories that only make you gain weight and do not provide you with any benefits because they do not contain any nutrients. Cutting out sugar can be very hard, especially when you have a sweet tooth. Here is are some tips to help you stop eating sugar.
1. Start slow and take baby steps:If you try to cut out all sugar from your diet at once, you will fail, because those cravings will come back with a vengeance. It will feel more like a punishment than an accomplishment. Instead of completely cutting out all sugar from your diet at one time, start controlling the amount of sugar you DO consume. For instance, if you take three teaspoons of sugar in your tea or coffee, try cutting back to two for one week, then down to one. For that sweet tooth, start by just cutting out chocolate and candy before you abandon everything like baked desserts, or just save it for special occasions.
2. Use sugar alternatives:Instead of using sugar when you do want it, replace it with honey, or sugar alternatives like stevia.
3. Challenge yourself:Some people like to challenge themselves and love the feeling of accomplishment when they fulfill that challenge. If that is you, try to challenge yourself to not to eat sugar for a week (or for a day, if you have a serious addiction.) Gradually extend your time, and celebrate each milestone.
4. Try sugar-free gum:When sweet cravings strike, grab a piece of sugar-free gum. This will keep you occupied and satisfy the need to chew on something.
5. Choose fruits over desserts:Fruits are a sweet and a healthy alternative to desserts. If you feel like having cake or a favorite dessert, then grab some blueberries or another sweet fruit. The natural sugars in the fruit will help curb those cravings.
6. Know the benefits of quitting sugar:There are so many benefits of cutting sugar that if you educate yourself on them or experience the negative side effects first hand, you will cringe at just the thought of consuming sugar. When you cut out sugar, your cardiac health improves, your skin begins to glow, and your acne starts clearing up. Furthermore, cutting out sugar will boost your mood and you will stop feeling cranky, moody or tired all the time. Your memory will improve and you may be able to lose the extra weight you always wanted to shed.
7. Add fennel seeds to your diet:If you just can’t shake off your sugar addiction, try adding fennel seeds to your diet. You can either add them while cooking or you can chew them raw. Fennel seeds do not contain any sugar or empty calories but they have a naturally sweet taste.
8. Don’t start your day sweet:According to a study by Brown, if you start your day by eating something sweet then you will crave sugar all day long. So, instead of having something sweet, have a savory breakfast. Don't even use the sugar alternatives in your breakfast.
Sugar is an addiction, and it takes time, consistency, and determination to abandon it completely. Start small and take little steps toward removing it from your diet.
If you would like to learn more about my 21 Day Clean Eating Program just click here.
Yours in health and wellness,
Are you considering moving to clean eating, but cannot find the time to start? It may be that clean eating sounds like an entire lifestyle shift, one that requires proper planning and proper initiation. You may be putting it off until you get a few days off from work or when that one big project is over. You will keep looking for reasons to put off change until you realize that you can just break down that change into smaller pieces and start integrating it slowly into your life. You will not be asked to change everything in order to live better and brighter; you only need to remember a few things as guiding principles to set out on a new journey.
One of the most important aspects of clean eating is what you choose to eat. That does not mean just planning meals according to the grade school food pyramid; it means that whatever you choose to eat, the closer it is to its natural state, the better it is for you. Try to avoid foods that have been refined, processed, or preserved. It is always better to go natural to benefit from inherent nutrients without the chemicals or preservatives that may reduce a food’s natural goodness.
When you are trying to eat clean, it is also a good idea to eat organic. In this day and age, enhancements and hormone treatments have crept into all kinds of foods. This ends up having an adverse effect on your health even if you are eating what you should in all the right quantities. It is important to start choosing organic; a little vigilance goes a long way.
Always read labels. They give away everything you need to know about the food you are buying. In general, the more ingredients a product contains, the higher chances there are that the food is processed. Even if you try eating healthy, there is a chance that the products you buy may contain preservatives, artificial sweeteners, and colors that make the healthy, unhealthy. Read the label to make sure that the yogurt you add to your bowl of berries is not going to ruin your clean eating.
The simplest trick to eating clean is to remember the eating clean equals to eating greens. This is the bare minimum to jumpstart into clean eating. Try your hardest to incorporate leafy greens into whatever you are preparing for healthy servings of vitamins A, C, and E, as well as increased fiber, which boosts your metabolism by assisting digestion. By filling you up with the least number of calories but the most amount of nutrients, leafy greens help you to be healthy with just one color. This is an easy place to start. With the myriad smoothie and salad recipes out there today, leafy greens can always find a way into your diet.
We have talked about adding to your clean diet. Now let us talk about omission. One of the simplest things you can omit for maximum effect is artificial sugar. Start identifying all things that contain artificial sweeteners. Drop that can of soda, say no to that candy, and you are on your way to clean eating. Watch how your energy stabilizes and your mood lifts when you leave out artificial sugar that plays havoc with your blood sugar levels.
Clean eating does not have to be difficult or intimidating. Start small and implement easy, gradual changes into your regular eating habits to get yourself on the right path toward better health.
If you would like to learn more about how I can help Click here or check out my facebook page and message me
Yours in health and wellness,
Early aging has a lot to do with your diet and your lifestyle. Our body is like a machine—good input leads to good output. What you ingest and put in your body has a huge impact on your biological system and your long-term health. A natural lifestyle does not have instant effects, but the long-term benefits are invaluable. Staying active and eating a nutrient-packed balanced diet can help slow the aging process and even prevent numerous diseases. Here are a few foods that can help you live a long and healthy life with great skin and a great body.
Olive oil has many anti-aging benefits. The monounsaturated fats in olive oil are can have a huge impact on the prevention or delay of heart disease and cancer. Olive oil also has polyphenols, which are powerful antioxidants that may help prevent age-related diseases. It is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids and the protein, minerals, and vitamins you need for healthy skin and hair. It has vitamins B and D to prevent the appearance of wrinkles and oleic acid and polyphenols to help smooth skin.
Packed with vitamin C, pomegranates are great for softening skin and guarding it against sun damage. The juice in pomegranate seeds contains punicalagin and ellagic acid, which is a polyphenol compound that combats damage from free radicals. Punicalagin is a super nutrient that improves your body’s ability to preserve collagen, a subdermal connective tissue that makes skin look smooth and plump.
Yogurt is rich in calcium, which plays a huge role in staving off osteoporosis, and contains good bacteria that help in the maintenance of gut health. Yogurt contains live bacterial cultures, such as Lactobacillus acidophilus, that fight the growth of harmful intestinal bacteria and help restore balance in the intestine. These probiotics result in better health and can help prevent age-related illnesses.
Blueberries contain more antioxidants than almost any other food. These give your skin an extra defense against skin-damaging free radicals that result from exposure to sun, over-exercise, and even emotional stress. Half a cup of blueberries every day can help in the prevention of the cell-structure damage that can lead to fine lines, wrinkles, and loss of firmness. Anthocyanin is also found in blueberries and functions just like an anti-inflammatory and can help maintain healthy brain function.
Fish is an abundant source of omega-3 fats, which helps prevent cholesterol buildup in the arteries and provides protection against abnormal heart rhythms. Fish oil and fish proteins are used in the beauty industry worldwide. They promote healthy looking skin and the omegas found in fish are essential for regulating blood clotting, body temperature, body pressure and the immune system.
If you would like to learn more about my health coaching practice, just click here.
Yours in health and wellness,
Categories nutrition, healthy eating, clean eating, detox, kick the sugar, weightloss