You have probably heard a few things here and there about how important sleep is, but maybe are not sure of the specifics why it's so important. If you're trying to lose weight, the amount of sleep you get may be just as important as your diet and exercise.
Check out these 6 reasons why getting good quality sleep is essential for overall health as well as weight loss.
1. Studies have found that poor sleep is associated with weight gain and a higher likelihood of obesity in both adults and children. People's sleep requirements vary, but, generally speaking, research has observed changes in weight when people get fewer than seven hours of sleep a night
2. Many studies have found that people who are sleep-deprived report having an increased appetite, likely due to its effect on hormones that signal hunger and fullness.
3. Poor sleep can decrease your self-control and decision-making abilities and can increase the brain's reaction to food. Poor sleep has also been linked to increased intake of foods high in calories, fats and carbs.
4. Poor sleep can increase your calorie intake by increasing late-night snacking, portion sizes and the time available to eat
5. Your resting metabolic rate (RMR) is the number of calories your body burns when you're completely at rest. It's affected by age, weight, height, sex and muscle mass. Poor sleep may decrease your RMR, although findings are mixed. One contributing factor seems to be that poor sleep may cause muscle loss.
6. Just a few days of poor sleep can cause insulin resistance, which is a precursor to both weight gain and type 2 diabetes. Insulin is a hormone that moves sugar from the bloodstream into your body's cells to be used as energy. When cells become resistant, more sugar remains in the bloodstream and the body produces more insulin to compensate. The excess insulin makes you hungrier and tells the body to store more calories as fat, ultimately causing weight gain.
And after a great night's sleep, try this smoothie recipe:
TAKING GREEN DRINKS TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF TASTE AND WELLNESS, THIS GINGER PEAR GREEN SMOOTHIE IS PACKED FULL OF VITAL NUTRIENTS, FIBERS, AND MINERALS TO KEEP YOUR BODY FUELED AND FUNCTIONING PROPERLY. YOU'LL BE CRAVING THIS YUMMY DRINK REGULARLY!
1 heaping cup fresh spinach
1 heaping cup diced frozen pears ½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon almond butter 1 cup unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice
1 teaspoon raw honey ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 drop of Ginger oil or just a slice of real ginger, if you don't have the oil.
Cut fresh pears and freeze for one hour. Put all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until creamy and smooth.
EXPERT TIP: Got a little extra time? Pour your smoothie in a bowl and garnish with coconut flakes, hemp and or chia seeds. Enjoy with a wooden spoon.