What are adrenal glands and where are they located?
Your adrenal glands play a very important role in maintaining your health. They are incredibly small, about the size and weight of a coin. They are located above your kidneys, just below the muscle tissue of your lower back.
What do adrenal glands do?
Our adrenal glands are responsible for many things that assist in regulating our body and hormones, including thyroid and reproductive hormones. They are also responsible for managing stress, the amount of inflammation in our body, our immune system, our blood sugar levels and the electrolytes in our blood. They influence all the physiological functions processes of the body and help stave off physical fatigue.
Signs your adrenal health is bad
When there is something wrong with our body, it will start to signal us that something needs to be addressed. Here is how your adrenal glands will signal you that something is wrong.
How to improve your adrenal health
If you suspect your adrenal glands may need some care and attention, try some of the following tips.
1. Get your sleep schedule in sync: Make sure that you get quality sleep for 9 to 10 hours. Sleep and wake up at the same times to get your body in a rhythm. It needs to follow a routine to start to heal.
2. Daily exercise: Set aside at least 30 minutes a day for exercise, no matter how busy or tired you may be.
3. Add these to your diet: To improve your adrenal health, add proteins, healthy carbs, zinc, calcium, and vitamins (especially C and D) to your diet. Also increase foods like coconuts, avocados, olives, chia seeds, bone broth, nuts, vegetables and fish, but make sure you do all of this in moderation.
If you would like to learn more about just click here.
Yours in health and wellness,
You need loads of energy to get through your day. When you feel like slacking or low on energy, you most likely need to get some nutrient-dense foods in your system. Here are some foods that will give you a quick boost of lasting energy without the crash.
1. Oatmeal: Oatmeal is one of the easiest and most delicious meals ever. Oatmeal contains the healthy type of carbs that are a great source of energy. They help metabolize the energy in your body by providing nutrients like vitamin B, thiamine, folate and niacin. Oatmeal is personalized energy! You can throw in whatever ingredients you like. To enjoy a warm bowl of delicious oatmeal, try this recipe:
Boil two scoops of oatmeal in a pinch of salt, a cup of water, and two tablespoons of peanut butter. Cook until the water is absorbed and it looks a little soupy. You can even sprinkle some black pepper on the top for additional taste and seasoning.
2. Eggs: Eggs can provide 30% of the protein your body requires and help strengthen and build your muscles. You can use eggs however you like. You can make an omelet, scramble them up, or simply hard-boil them.
3. Yogurt: Yogurt may be an easy thing to snack on, but it also provides your body with an incredible amount of energy. It’s milk, lactose, and low sugar levels are responsible for the energy, and the protein helps slow food digestion so you can store the energy for a longer period of time.
4. Shrimp: Shrimp is rich in vitamin B12 and very low in calories. Vitamin B12 helps your body produce energy at a much faster rate. Shrimp also contains omega 3 fatty acids, which help boost your mood and your energy levels.
5. Hummus: This Mediterranean dish is made from various herbs, spices, and chickpeas. It also contains olive oil, lemon juice, and sesame seed paste. These ingredients provide the nutrients and healthy carbs needed to help our bodies produce energy. They also contain healthy fats and protein, which means that you will be able to store that energy for a longer period of time.
6. Strawberry: Strawberries contain natural fructose, which gives you a quick yet sustainable boost of energy. You eat them raw or add them to your oatmeal, acai bowls or smoothies.
7. Spinach: Mitochondria are the powerhouse of cells. Spinach contains nitrates that are responsible for improving the efficiency of mitochondria, helping provide energy to your cells.
8. Bananas: Bananas not only provide your body with energy but also help in storing it. They make a perfect snack before you head to the gym.
I know this article is titled Foods for energy, but there are also several oils that will help you with energy, as well......Wild Orange and Peppermint being a few.
Try adding some of these foods to your diet to boost your energy levels and power up your body’s performance!
If you would like to learn more about feeling more energetic, whether it be getting going in the morning, or needing a pick me up in the afternoon, that is not coffee, and sugar, just click here. Or message me on facebook
Yours in health and wellness,
When your blood sugar is not balanced, your body stops functioning like it is supposed to. Medical supplements can be expensive, but there are some natural supplements for regulating blood sugar that are available at your local grocery store, if not right in your kitchen. If you have trouble managing your blood sugar, try adding some of these natural supplements to your diet and in your daily routine. You can eat many of them raw or add them to your food or smoothies.
Cinnamon is made from the bark of Cinnamomum trees. It is a very popular spice that can help manage the body’s insulin and blood glucose levels. It contains a lot of antioxidants that help regulate blood sugar by enhancing your insulin sensitivity and slowing your stomach’s process of emptying after each meal. Cinnamon is easy to add to a lot of recipes.
Ginseng is a root with Chinese origins that is often used to manufacture organic and herbal medicines. The primary health use of ginseng is to help lower blood sugar levels. Consuming ginseng on a daily basis after each meal can help balance blood sugar levels. According to a study conducted by an American university, daily consumption of ginseng helped approximately 20% more patients with blood sugar issues as compared to those who took the placebo pills.
3. Fenugreek seeds:
Fenugreek is an aromatic plant that can help regulate your blood sugar level by slowing down the process of digestion and carbohydrate absorption. Its abundance of amino acids can also stimulate the production of insulin in your body.
4. Banaba Leaf Extract:
Banaba is a tree is found in the Asian tropical forests. The extract of its leaves has been found beneficial for regulating blood sugar levels. It contains corosolic acid, which assists your body in transforming the glucose in your blood into energy. People have seen drastic changes after consuming Banaba leaf extract daily for two weeks.
5. The sun:
It is in common knowledge that the sun can provide our bones and body an abundance of vitamin D. This vitamin is nearly always found to be deficient in patients who are dealing with blood sugar issues. Ten to 15 minutes of exposure of vitamin D on a daily , basis will assist your body in regulating your blood sugar and will help your body function on less insulin by improving insulin sensitivity in your body.
6. Gymnema Sylvester:
Gymnema Sylvester is an herb found in the tropical forests of India. The leaves of this herb can help reduce absorption of glucose in your body and normalize your body’s blood sugar levels.
7. DoTerra Slim and Sassy essential oil:
Made up of Grapefruit, peppermint, ginger and cinnamon essential oils promotes a healthy metabolism, promotes a positive mood, and helps regulate blood sugar.
Balanced blood sugar levels are important to your overall health, and some struggle more than others. In addition to small changes in your diet, try a few of these tips to help balance your blood sugar naturally!
If you would like to learn more about a free consultation just click here.
Yours in health and wellness,
Alkalizing your body simply means reducing its acidity, and you can do that by eating the right kind of foods. There are a lot of benefits to alkalizing your body. An alkalized body often results in more nights of peaceful, deep sleep; an increase in energy; and a reduction in weight. Alkalizing your body also promotes mental alertness, reduces candida growth, improves memory, generates healthier tissues, ensures proper functioning of your cells, supports a healthier heart, and reduces the risk of chronic diseases and muscle degeneration.
Alkalizing your body is a gift that you can give yourself. Here are eight ways to do it.
1. Not all acidic foods are bad. This may seem counter-productive since you are trying to reduce acid levels in your body, but not all acidic foods are bad for you. Case in point: lemon. Lemon may be an acidic food, but it helps to alkalize your body instead of harm it. Add a few drops of lemon water to a glass of water and drink it first thing in the morning. This will increase your body’s metabolism and help detoxify all the acids and toxins in your body.
2. Devour the greens. Another great way to alkalize your body is by adding green vegetables and fruits in your diet. Try a simple green salad with olive oil and sprinkle with some black pepper for seasoning.
3. A for alkalizing. A for almonds. Try adding unsalted and raw almonds to your diet as a snack. Almonds contain naturally occurring alkaline, magnesium, and calcium, which help your body to balance your body’s blood sugar and acidity.
4. Don’t choose the cow. Switch your milk to non-dairy, like almond milk, because cow’s milk promotes more acid growth.
5. Workout. Exercise is vital to alkalizing your body. Even just fifteen minutes of exercise moves the acidic foods in your body to a position where it is easier to completely eliminate them from your body.
6. Meditate. Mediated in fresh air or invest in essential oils or a salt lamp. Essential oils are known for purifying and cleansing your body. Investing in a Himalayan sea salt lamp will prove beneficial toward alkalizing your body because it will cleanse and purify it by producing negative ions and canceling out the positive ions in your surroundings and in your body.
7. Quit the meat. Try to consume as little meat as possible. Better yet, start a completely plant-based diet. Meat has a tendency to leave residual acid in your body even after it has been eliminated.
8. No more sugar. No more soda. Cut out all soda and sugar from your diet because they are nothing but empty calories. Choose water or green tea instead because they will detoxify your body from acidity.
An alkalized body is a balanced, happy body. Try integrating a few of these into your daily routine, and experience the difference of an alkalized body!
Coconut Curry Soup
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 leek, chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 medium to large head of purple cabbage, chopped
2 cups chopped sweet potato
1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 15-ounce can organic coconut milk
6 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon thyme
Add coconut oil to a large soup pot over medium heat. Add chopped celery, onion, leek, and garlic. Sauté for about 5 minutes until it starts to brown. Next, add cabbage, sweet potato, quinoa, coconut milk, vegetable broth, curry powder and thyme. Mix well and cover. Continue to cook for about 20 minutes until the quinoa is fully cooked and the vegetables are tender.
If you would like to learn more about working with me to lose weight, and have more energy, and just an overall more healthy lifestyle, just click here.
Yours in health and wellness,
Sugar is nothing but empty calories, the calories that only make you gain weight and do not provide you with any benefits because they do not contain any nutrients. Cutting out sugar can be very hard, especially when you have a sweet tooth. Here is are some tips to help you stop eating sugar.
1. Start slow and take baby steps:If you try to cut out all sugar from your diet at once, you will fail, because those cravings will come back with a vengeance. It will feel more like a punishment than an accomplishment. Instead of completely cutting out all sugar from your diet at one time, start controlling the amount of sugar you DO consume. For instance, if you take three teaspoons of sugar in your tea or coffee, try cutting back to two for one week, then down to one. For that sweet tooth, start by just cutting out chocolate and candy before you abandon everything like baked desserts, or just save it for special occasions.
2. Use sugar alternatives:Instead of using sugar when you do want it, replace it with honey, or sugar alternatives like stevia.
3. Challenge yourself:Some people like to challenge themselves and love the feeling of accomplishment when they fulfill that challenge. If that is you, try to challenge yourself to not to eat sugar for a week (or for a day, if you have a serious addiction.) Gradually extend your time, and celebrate each milestone.
4. Try sugar-free gum:When sweet cravings strike, grab a piece of sugar-free gum. This will keep you occupied and satisfy the need to chew on something.
5. Choose fruits over desserts:Fruits are a sweet and a healthy alternative to desserts. If you feel like having cake or a favorite dessert, then grab some blueberries or another sweet fruit. The natural sugars in the fruit will help curb those cravings.
6. Know the benefits of quitting sugar:There are so many benefits of cutting sugar that if you educate yourself on them or experience the negative side effects first hand, you will cringe at just the thought of consuming sugar. When you cut out sugar, your cardiac health improves, your skin begins to glow, and your acne starts clearing up. Furthermore, cutting out sugar will boost your mood and you will stop feeling cranky, moody or tired all the time. Your memory will improve and you may be able to lose the extra weight you always wanted to shed.
7. Add fennel seeds to your diet:If you just can’t shake off your sugar addiction, try adding fennel seeds to your diet. You can either add them while cooking or you can chew them raw. Fennel seeds do not contain any sugar or empty calories but they have a naturally sweet taste.
8. Don’t start your day sweet:According to a study by Brown, if you start your day by eating something sweet then you will crave sugar all day long. So, instead of having something sweet, have a savory breakfast. Don't even use the sugar alternatives in your breakfast.
Sugar is an addiction, and it takes time, consistency, and determination to abandon it completely. Start small and take little steps toward removing it from your diet.
If you would like to learn more about my 21 Day Clean Eating Program just click here.
Yours in health and wellness,
Are you considering moving to clean eating, but cannot find the time to start? It may be that clean eating sounds like an entire lifestyle shift, one that requires proper planning and proper initiation. You may be putting it off until you get a few days off from work or when that one big project is over. You will keep looking for reasons to put off change until you realize that you can just break down that change into smaller pieces and start integrating it slowly into your life. You will not be asked to change everything in order to live better and brighter; you only need to remember a few things as guiding principles to set out on a new journey.
One of the most important aspects of clean eating is what you choose to eat. That does not mean just planning meals according to the grade school food pyramid; it means that whatever you choose to eat, the closer it is to its natural state, the better it is for you. Try to avoid foods that have been refined, processed, or preserved. It is always better to go natural to benefit from inherent nutrients without the chemicals or preservatives that may reduce a food’s natural goodness.
When you are trying to eat clean, it is also a good idea to eat organic. In this day and age, enhancements and hormone treatments have crept into all kinds of foods. This ends up having an adverse effect on your health even if you are eating what you should in all the right quantities. It is important to start choosing organic; a little vigilance goes a long way.
Always read labels. They give away everything you need to know about the food you are buying. In general, the more ingredients a product contains, the higher chances there are that the food is processed. Even if you try eating healthy, there is a chance that the products you buy may contain preservatives, artificial sweeteners, and colors that make the healthy, unhealthy. Read the label to make sure that the yogurt you add to your bowl of berries is not going to ruin your clean eating.
The simplest trick to eating clean is to remember the eating clean equals to eating greens. This is the bare minimum to jumpstart into clean eating. Try your hardest to incorporate leafy greens into whatever you are preparing for healthy servings of vitamins A, C, and E, as well as increased fiber, which boosts your metabolism by assisting digestion. By filling you up with the least number of calories but the most amount of nutrients, leafy greens help you to be healthy with just one color. This is an easy place to start. With the myriad smoothie and salad recipes out there today, leafy greens can always find a way into your diet.
We have talked about adding to your clean diet. Now let us talk about omission. One of the simplest things you can omit for maximum effect is artificial sugar. Start identifying all things that contain artificial sweeteners. Drop that can of soda, say no to that candy, and you are on your way to clean eating. Watch how your energy stabilizes and your mood lifts when you leave out artificial sugar that plays havoc with your blood sugar levels.
Clean eating does not have to be difficult or intimidating. Start small and implement easy, gradual changes into your regular eating habits to get yourself on the right path toward better health.
If you would like to learn more about how I can help Click here or check out my facebook page and message me
Yours in health and wellness,
Early aging has a lot to do with your diet and your lifestyle. Our body is like a machine—good input leads to good output. What you ingest and put in your body has a huge impact on your biological system and your long-term health. A natural lifestyle does not have instant effects, but the long-term benefits are invaluable. Staying active and eating a nutrient-packed balanced diet can help slow the aging process and even prevent numerous diseases. Here are a few foods that can help you live a long and healthy life with great skin and a great body.
Olive oil has many anti-aging benefits. The monounsaturated fats in olive oil are can have a huge impact on the prevention or delay of heart disease and cancer. Olive oil also has polyphenols, which are powerful antioxidants that may help prevent age-related diseases. It is also rich in omega-3 fatty acids and the protein, minerals, and vitamins you need for healthy skin and hair. It has vitamins B and D to prevent the appearance of wrinkles and oleic acid and polyphenols to help smooth skin.
Packed with vitamin C, pomegranates are great for softening skin and guarding it against sun damage. The juice in pomegranate seeds contains punicalagin and ellagic acid, which is a polyphenol compound that combats damage from free radicals. Punicalagin is a super nutrient that improves your body’s ability to preserve collagen, a subdermal connective tissue that makes skin look smooth and plump.
Yogurt is rich in calcium, which plays a huge role in staving off osteoporosis, and contains good bacteria that help in the maintenance of gut health. Yogurt contains live bacterial cultures, such as Lactobacillus acidophilus, that fight the growth of harmful intestinal bacteria and help restore balance in the intestine. These probiotics result in better health and can help prevent age-related illnesses.
Blueberries contain more antioxidants than almost any other food. These give your skin an extra defense against skin-damaging free radicals that result from exposure to sun, over-exercise, and even emotional stress. Half a cup of blueberries every day can help in the prevention of the cell-structure damage that can lead to fine lines, wrinkles, and loss of firmness. Anthocyanin is also found in blueberries and functions just like an anti-inflammatory and can help maintain healthy brain function.
Fish is an abundant source of omega-3 fats, which helps prevent cholesterol buildup in the arteries and provides protection against abnormal heart rhythms. Fish oil and fish proteins are used in the beauty industry worldwide. They promote healthy looking skin and the omegas found in fish are essential for regulating blood clotting, body temperature, body pressure and the immune system.
If you would like to learn more about my health coaching practice, just click here.
Yours in health and wellness,
I feel like so many times people start having these symptoms, and don't know what's wrong. These are things we don't even think of. So you go to the doctor, and what do we come out with? Anti anxiety medication......1/2 the time it doesn't work........and why? Because that wasn't the problem. So, just be aware of what else it might be.
If you regularly feel like something is just not right with your body, that you are just not yourself more often than not, you may be suffering from a hormone imbalance. Here are a few signs and symptoms to help you determine if your hormones may be out of whack:
1. You feel tired all the time.
Consistent fatigue may be the cause of an imbalance in our stress hormones that are produced when your body releases cortisol. Your body tends to release excessive cortisol in response to a bad or unhealthy diet, especially one with excessive daily consumption of sugar. This fatigue may even make you feel a little depressed and lethargic and cause brain fog or brain fatigue, a temporary condition in which your brain is simply exhausted and cannot perform the simplest task.
2. You are unable to lose weight.
The stress hormone cortisol not only makes you feel tired but can also hinder your body's ability to maintain or lose weight. Your hormones control your metabolism. An imbalance in your hormones can result in a slowed or inefficient metabolism. Furthermore, hormonal imbalances promote fat storage that can lead to weight gain.
3. You suffer from insatiable cravings.
An increase in cortisol can cause you to have crazy and insatiable cravings for sugary foods. You may feel ravenous and get abnormally cranky if you are unable to satisfy those cravings.
4.You feel as if you are on an emotional roller coaster.
When your hormones are out of whack, you may feel as if you are on an emotional roller coaster. One minute you are happy and having the time of your life and in the next, you may feel incredibly depressed. Hormonal imbalances can cause you to experience extreme, inexplicable highs and lows in your emotions.
5. You have digestive problems.
Hormonal imbalances can also contribute to digestive problems like abdominal spasms, diarrhea, constipation, bloating, excessive flatulence and burping, nausea and discomfort.
6. You sweat excessively.
Your hormones can cause you to sweat excessively when they are out of whack. This is due to a swing of hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism, which are caused by hormonal imbalances in your body. This symptom is usually overlooked but should be discussed with your doctor in the event your excessive sweating leads to axillary hyperhidrosis, which is profuse sweating over your entire body and underarms.
Pineapple Ginger Fried Rice
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1-inch piece of ginger, grated
2 eggs, beaten
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup green peas
1/2 cup chopped pineapple, drained
2 scallions, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
Add coconut oil to a sauté pan over medium heat. When the oil is melted, add bell pepper, onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté for about 5 minutes until it starts to brown. Next, add beaten eggs. Scramble for about 5 minutes until firm. Next add cooked brown rice and green peas. Stir fry for another 5 minutes until warm.
If you would like to learn more about how I may be able to help, or what the top essential oils are for hormone balancing, just click here or message me on facebook
Yours in health and wellness,
How to Have Better Relationships Through Your Own Self Love
In today’s busy world, we rarely set time aside for ourselves and often ignore our well being. This ignorance can lead to mental and physical health issues and start to seep into our relationships. It is critical that you take some time out of your busy schedule for just you. We tend to neglect ourselves and put off taking a break for any sort of self-care. This can lead to a never-ending work cycle with no recreation that may leave you feeling down, frustrated or even hysteric.
The easy solution to this problem is to take care of you. Take some “me-time” out of your around-the-clock schedule and treat yourself to something nice and stress-relieving. Do not feel selfish about it, because when you feel good, you are better able to take good care of your relationships and your work.
Ways to Promote Self-love:
There is no specific rule of thumb to taking care of yourself; it can involve anything you like to do that makes you feel refreshed. Here is a short list of ideas:
With these simple steps, you can learn to love yourself and bring positive changes to your life.
Spend Time with Your Loved Ones:
Spending time with your loved ones is food for the soul. You feel refreshed and happy when you get enough attention, love, and time from your loved ones and vice versa. To boost the energy level of your mind and body and to help satisfy your soul, try to maximize the time you spend with your family, your partner, and your kids. Here are some good ways to maximize small amounts of time:
These steps will help to promote a healthy family life, which will have a deep positive impact on your mind, body, and soul. Loving your family and loving your life starts with loving yourself. Love yourself and you will excel!
If you would like to learn more about my coaching, just click here. If you would like to learn more about using oils for self care....
Or you could always message me through facebook
Yours in health and wellness,
Essential oils are aromatic compounds that are extracted from the flowers, seeds, roots, or leaves of various plants. Each essential oil has its unique smell, properties, and qualities; these oils are generally either diffused into the air or applied topically. With so many uses, trying essential oils can be a little daunting. Here are 12 easy ways to start using essential oils every day.
1. Stress relief:
Essential oils like frankincense and lavender can help with stress management. Lavender essential oil promotes relaxation and helps balance your stress levels. Frankincense essential oil can help deter feelings of depression. Lemon essential oil can also help boost your mood.
2. Increased energy and stamina:
Essential oils like lavender, lemon, and frankincense can help boost your stamina and provide a burst of energy.
3. Healthy skin:
Problematic skin can often be treated with the help of essential oils applied topically. Lavender essential oil can be used to clean and soothe shallow cuts, irritated skin, redness, and bruises. Lemon essential oil contains 68% of d-limonene, a common antioxidant that promotes healthy skin by reducing inflammation. Tea tree oil can also be used to treat common cuts, skin irritations, and stubborn acne scars. Mix the essential oil with a carrier oil before applying to your skin.
4. Improved nervous system:
Diffusing lemon essential oil can help improve your nervous system and alertness.
5.Digestion and weight loss support:
Lemon and peppermint essential oils are often recommended to improve digestion. Peppermint essential oil can also be an effective appetite suppressant, aiding in weight loss.
6. Respiratory system support:
Diffuse peppermint and frankincense essential oils to help support your respiratory system.
7. Immune system support:
Diffusing or cleaning with teat tree and Thieves essential oils can help support your immune system and stave off colds, flu, and other illnesses.
8. Oral health:Thieves essential oil is used in many organic kinds of toothpaste because it supports oral health.
Tea tree and thieves essential oils are great for cleansing and purifying the air in your home. They can also be used as all-natural, all-purpose home cleaners.
10. Healthy lips:
Lavender essential oil can be used to soothe and moisturize dry, chapped, or cracked lips.
11. Dandruff-free hair:
Apply lavender essential oil—either directly or diluted with a carrier oil—to relieve stubborn dandruff.
12. Mosquito repellant:
You can make your own mosquito repellent by mixing citronella, lemongrass, coconut, and eucalyptus oils. Apply topically or diffuse in the surrounding area.
If you would like to learn more about using essential oils, or have a free one on one consultation about how they could best work in your life,contact me here or message me on facebook, or go to my doTerra page at.....
Yours in health and wellness,
Categories nutrition, healthy eating, clean eating, detox, kick the sugar, weightloss